Proposed Basics: The Plane

Home Forums Game Development Lore Submissions Proposed Basics: The Plane

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is this generally an earth-like world? Is it an “alternate Earth”?

It is a plane. It is not a round globe, but a flat landmass. Think “the earth is flat.” The Eldest’s Words provide the natural laws that govern this reality. The plane exists within “space.” This all exists within the “Eldest” who are not physical but supernatural. The plane consists of two sides. On one side is the material realm as we know of it. The major landmasses are the Allied Lands, and the Lands of Exile. No other lands are known (but that doesn’t mean they do not exist). No one has ever returned from trying to sail to the edges of the known world. On this one side is life. It is rumored that the other side of this plane (underneath it, like the bottom of a dish), is where people go after death. They call it the “Underbelly.” Dow have long sought to dig deep enough to gain access to this Underbelly, but they have yet to accomplish it. For now, it is just the rumored place where souls/spirit go. Different races have different ideas on what this place looks like, whether there are rewards./punishments after death, what this life after death in the underbelly looks like, which Eldest oversees it, and whether it even exists (exp: Halflings live as if the underbelly doesn’t exist, instead focusing on the here and now topside)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Generally I’ve always assumed the World is round with 1-2 large continents on it. In fact, there’s a Map builder world for games that will create your game world on it, that allows for one or 2 maybe 3 continents. I like the concept of at least TWO… as it gives you room down the road to expand the game.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well, the dragons had t’come from SOMEWHERE. And who’s t’say the Land of the Exiles won’t be their next conquest once they’re finished doing whatever ’tis dragons do t’the fairer Lands of the Allies? Is the Exiles’ Land too distant or too cold for them? ‘Tasn’t been so for us. Are the air currents to the Exiles’ lands too poor (for right now I speak as a scholarly dwarf) for the slow, low and lumbering flight of the rather weakly-winged, heavy-bodied lizards to navigate? Is there an as-yet-t’be-discovered mystery that repels them? Are there ANY individuals of the exiled races that might be willing to form an alliance of survival? Perhaps a few Orcs? I doubt that I can ever trust even one of the Drow…..the Drow’d likely stoop so low as t’actually’ve sent ’em in retribution.

Profile photo of Claire - GM
    Claire – GM
    Keymaster

To add to this discussion, though it is still open for opinion. The world is indeed flat. It litterally is a plane (at least in the eyes of the people) and there are rumors that more than one plane exists (opens us up to all kinds of fun for later story). However, that’s mere rumor as far as anyone knows.

The weather/sun/nightfall is all tied directly into the Eldest. The Sun being considered the literal hand of I’nil passing over our plane of existence. The night Sho’thar’s viel. The rain the power of Memnis.

There are two main bodies of land – the allied territories and the lands of exile. There are islands and such off these main bodies, and they are located in relation to the allied territories being where Asia/Europe is, and the lands of Exile being where north america would be.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I just started working on writing this up officially, and the official answer is, to quote Luke Skywalker, “…”

Since anything approaching circumnavigation is out of the realms of possibility at the current level of civilization, round-or-flat is mostly a theoretical question with little practical importance.

What IS conceded fact is that the world is a nexus of many different planes of existence, which likely also exist independently and may even cross each other in different places and ways within the multiverse. There is little distinction between the Eldest and the planes, if any. Sho’thar literally IS the plane of darkness.

This is all, of course, with the caveat “as I’m currently writing it.” None of it’s canon until it is signed off as such.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.